If one wants to follow the path of magic, he or she needs a Thema (theme, topic, subject, or matter). Everything starts there and also comes together there. Superbia , Ira, Acedia, Invidia, Avaritia, Gula, Luxuria. These seven deadly sins act as Archives, and within them, you find a thema associated with that archive. Your thema is the thing that's farthest from yourself. So the things further from one's own common sense is what makes true "magic". Most people will choose an Archive and Thema that is opposite of what their personality is, as that appears to be the easiest for them to use since magic is irrational by nature, in other words, they must think in a way contrary to themselves.
Superbia, "Pride" Edit
Superbia's Archive is shown to possess magics which can reflect other magics or magics which can dominate or erase them. This is because this Archive represents "Pride" and inherently shows traits of domination.
- Imperium, "Rule/Control": Arata's main Thema, this thema gives Arata the ability to copy and erase other magics. Users:
- Iustitia, "Justice": This Thema allows access to the magic called Gehenna Scope, which primarily focuses upon reflecting other magics, as well as scanning them to counter them. Users:
- Mira Yamana (Main)
- Verum, "Truth": The details of this Thema and the magic it can produce are unknown. It was used by a mage defeated by Mira Yamana, who lost control and caused a Breakdown Phenomenon, summoning specters in her wake.
- Arbiter, "Judge" - theme of master Akarsha/Arsha
Ira, "Wrath" Edit
Thus far, users of this Archive display abilities relating to causing significant destruction to their surroundings, such that Arin's abilities are considered one of the most destructive of her peers, however, it is not limited to mere destruction, permitting barriers and such spells.
- Ruina, "Ruin": This Thema centers around the use of Chaotic Runes spellcraft, which is a spellcraft allowing the user to conjure the powers of the gods, specifically Norse ones, through use of runes. The user can use this power both offensively and defensively. Users:
- Victoria (Victory)- When Arin's Demon Spear Gae Bolg is transformed into God King's (Odin's) Spear Gungnir using Limit Release, she will gain this extra thema with the support Yui's Arc Symphony.
- Partum, "Creation": Is one of Hijiri's additional Thema.
- Hijiri Kasuga
- Analysis, "Disassembly": Is one of Hijiri's additional Thema.
- Hijiri Kasuga
- Cultura, "Culture": Is a Thema stated by Yui to be in the Ira Archive.
Acedia, "Sloth" Edit
All three users of Acedia shown thus far have used powers which appear to focus upon magics that can manipulate space, such as teleportation and "Binding", it also seems it might have influence over time itself. Both users, though with different Thema, use the Logos Arts, implying that this is the dominant form of magic in Acedia. Its "Last Crest" is Baal Peor, "Time Fissure" which allows the user to slow time to almost a stop, giving them an undeniable advantage in battle, but in exchange, they are imprisoned in that ultra-high speed world forever, barring outside help.
- Stagna, "Stagnation": This Thema allows the use of the Magic "Chrono Calculation" of the "Logos Arts" which primarily seems to allow the user to teleport themselves, in other words calculating positions in space-time. It also appears it can be used to absorb other people's magic and research, thus taking a "shortcut" towards improving their own. Users:
- Lieselotte Sherlock (Main)
- Arata Kasuga
- Ligare, "Bind"/ "Tie": This Thema allows the use of "Secret Numbers Art" of the "Logos Arts" which primarily allows its user to bind other targets.
- Selina Sherlock (Main)
- Lieselotte Sherlock (Stolen)
- Sanctus, "Spirit"/ "Holy": Is a Thema stated by Yui to be in the Acedia Archive.
- Master Libel.
- Infrequentia "Emptiness": Is a Thema stated by Yui to be in the Acedia Archive.
- Aries Chaldia.
Invidia, "Envy" Edit
The Magics of this Archive appear to be centered around shaman magics and spells, thus techniques such as Ninjutsu belong in this Archive. The "Last Crest" of Invidia is "Leviathan", however the only time its name is mentioned is when Levi only pretended to use it, thus its true abilities and consequences are unknown.
- Expectation: This Thema allows the use of Shamanic Spell magic. This magic allows its user to cast illusions and/or manipulate the wind, which compliments Levi's ninjutsu very practically, to such a point where it can become unclear whether she's using her magic or natural skills as a Ninja. Users:
- "Sincerity" - Thema of Lugh, allows her to move at light speed, called High Speed Luminescence Magic. Users:
- Lugh (Main)
- Spero ,"Hope" - Thema of Levi
- Perfectus, "Perfect" - Thema of Ryuhime
Avaritia, "Greed" Edit
So far, this Archive's magic appears to center around bringing others into one's own territory or the world, which they can manipulate at will, alternatively, it might revolve around use of illusions.
- Amicitia, "Friendship": This Thema allows the use of Yui's Archsymphony. This brand of magic specifically allows Yui to manipulate others through song, casting illusions or putting others to sleep, thus taking them into her dream world. She is capable of bringing people's physical bodies into the dream world, thus saving them from threats in the physical world. Users:
- Yui Kurata (Main)
- Sapientia, "Wisdom": Is a Thema stated by Yui to be in the Avaritia Archive.
- Frux: Is a Thema stated by Yui to be in the Avaritia Archive.
Gula, "Gluttony" Edit
The Magics of this Archive seem centered around one's emotions, and primarily focusing them into manifesting external entities or empowering one's physical body.
- Fides, "Faith": This Thema allows the use of Mantra Enchantment, a spellcraft involving the use of runes over the user's body, strengthening them and/or manifesting their power into external forms, such as Arata's dragon. Its power is directly tied in with the user's emotions, the stronger they are, the more powerful the user. Users:
- Akio Fudo (Main)
- Arata Kasuga
- Felicitas (Happiness)
Luxuria, "Lust" Edit
Luxuria's Archive apparently possesses a large number of Thema centered around life and souls, specifically, Alchemy, the rules of equivalent exchange, and powers which consume everything in their path without relent are covered here.
- Vanitas, "Nothingness": A Thema which symbolizes darkness and nothingness, able to consume and return all of creation to nothing. The essence of Magic, as well as all seven archives, can be utterly erased by this power. Users:
- Abyss Trinity (Main)
- Abies, "Creation"/ "Fir": This Thema allows the use of a Magic known as Outer Alchemic, which allows the user, via rules of equivalent exchange, to create weapons for his/her own use. Users:
- Lilith Asami (Main)
- Arata Kasuga
- Everlasting: Is a Thema stated by Yui to be in the Luxuria Archive.
- Terminus, "Terminal"/ "Limit": Noted by Hijiri to be a very dangerous and ancient "Lost Thema", capable of even devouring Arata and his allies.
- The term Baltan in the manga is a wrong translation of a fan. Because of the very small characters beside the larger complex characters (Kanji) that is found in Volume 2 Chapter 20, they mistook the word. There's a "ha character" in Japan where you can translate it into "Ba" or "Pa" when you add a specific symbol. Same goes with "Ru/R" and "Lu/L" too. The translation is not now fanmade, it has an original source, a teacher of Japanese language. So Baltan in manga does not really exist, that's why it was stated in the anime that it's Partum (even without using subtitles).